What is it?
Online competitions are used as a marketing tool for a company to help promote overall awareness of their brand. Companies will offer a prize that customers or potential customers can enter to try and win.
Who Uses it?
By running online competitions it hits a massive market of individuals who like to participate in the opportunity of winning something for nothing. If the product up for grabs is something that will interest a broad spectrum of people then the company are more likely to bring in a broader range of customer’s to their site.
Why is it useful to an organisation?
- Helps to build mailing lists
- Gains additional links
- Helps to create a buzz about your brand
- Brings back repeat visitors
- Increases brand awareness
Are there any limitations?
- There are laws that govern competitions
- How to participate; if there is a free entry route, this must be clearly explained.
- The end date.
- How and when the results will be announced; winners’ names must be published or available on request, but promoters must not publish excessively detailed personal information
Any top tips?
- Make sure that the prize is right as well as the competition that’s going to run is right.
- Make sure that all promotional tools are up and running in time for the start of the competition.
- Announce the prize winners and make sure that the prizes are actually sent out.
- Send users thank you e-mails for participating in the competition.
Useful Websites -